Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

I have been a resident of this area most of my life.

There is a part of me that really is not fond of the personality type that seems to exist and thrive in Washington DC. I dislike how people don't seem to look out for each other. Everyone is only interested in how they can get ahead, and if you get in the way, well, there is a great possibility that you will be steamrolled. (And I don't mean in a super cool, Strange Brew kind of way.) The worst part of that is that the steamroller probably won't even notice (or care) that they ran you over. You notice it on sidewalks were people make no attempt to walk in a way that shares the sidewalk. You notice it on the metro where everyone is shoving to get on, never letting anyone off.
Washingtonians tend to think of themselves, not taking any notice of the things going on around them. It frustrates me.
But last night I was reminded of the best of the city. Sitting at a rooftop bar with a view of the Washington Monument and a fiery sunset over one of the most beautiful cities I have seen. Watching Marine One drop off one of the First Daughters, perhaps and then fly off again. Hanging out and laughing until my abs were ripped with some of the people who remind me that DC can be pretty awesome, even when the jackass (who reminded me of the why I hate DC, and I don't mean the blogger by that name) at the next table was living up to his name.

Damn, girls. You make me laugh. Thanks.

In attendance:
Velvet, DCSC, Sweet, Heather, Law-rah, Mappy B, and the Doll

Oh, and this girl:
Marci

Why does my blog hate Marci? I had her in my original list, and it erased her. So I entered her in as the socially awkward one, and blogger was still bitter. I hope it shows that Marci was enjoying the pretty night in DC with us now, because dude, Blogger is a bitter beeyotch.

11 Comments:

Blogger Don't Be Silent DC said...

I try to see the natural beauty of DC such as the monuments like you did...but the negative people in this area make it hard for me.

9/26/2006 09:55:00 AM  
Blogger Law-Rah said...

Agreed Golden...but when you find the right folks, nights like this sure do make it all worthwhile!

9/26/2006 10:03:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed. Of course these moments make me brain dead the next morning!

9/26/2006 10:07:00 AM  
Blogger Melissa said...

87 bottles of gel in my hair, 87 bottles of gel. Take one down, pass it around, 87 bottles of gel in my hair!

9/26/2006 10:33:00 AM  
Blogger VP of Dior said...

it was great to meet up with you all last night. the view was unreal and it made me realize how lucky i am to even live here and have the resources to do what i do and enjoy life.

but about the DC types - it is totally true. i hate when i'm on the metro and there is an older lady standing and many young guys sitting and not offering their seat. i've offered my seat to older people and just gave dirty looks to others who clearly are too self involved to think of anyone but themselves.

9/26/2006 10:34:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what was that about a chicken again?

i love you!!!

9/26/2006 10:57:00 AM  
Blogger Marci said...

Damn! Sounds like a good time. I wish I had been there.

~The Socially Awkward One

9/26/2006 12:10:00 PM  
Blogger Marci said...

But...but ivygirl...I LOVE Chicago! They are so nice there. How can you say that?

9/26/2006 05:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

People are nice everywhere, except France and that's mainly because they have no pants! Brrrr!
DC is beautiful: the scenery, the monuments, the people!
Chicago is cold, very cold but the people are nice and will tell you where to go!

9/26/2006 05:22:00 PM  
Blogger chanuck said...

Now I want to watch Strange Brew. Damn you.

9/27/2006 12:20:00 AM  
Blogger Buggie said...

Sometimes I just love it here, but the Hill mentality gets me down. I love how beautifully laid out the city is. I love National Airport better than any other in the whole world. I think the sunset over the monuments in out of this world, and if you get to experience this stuff with people like the ones that were out with me the other night and have no one else around, DC is great. Sigh. Love/Hate...

DCSC: HA! It's not just chicken.

Ivy!!! Do you really think so? I mean, my new boss is from that area and she reeks to me of the DC mentality, but usually everyone there is so nice! In fact I am always put off a bit at first by the strangers saying hi to me on the street. We DCites don't do that. We are wayyyy too suspicious of people.

Chinadian: Take off ya knob!

9/27/2006 12:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home