Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

(Insert Debbie Downer music here)

Today sucked.

I was thinking of leaving the post with simply that, but you, my intrepid reader, would be saddened. I simply cannot think of a fate worse than that (except for maybe my day).

Two days ago, while in San Jose, I noticed that finally a rock had gotten to my precious (new) windshield and gave it a nice hole which the windshield then decided to share with the rest of itself. The crack went halfway across. As the day shuffled off its mortal (immortal?) coil to pass into the next, the crack carried on with its journey (much as I am) across the windshield.

I then decided it would behoove me to call in the guards to replace this detriment to my driving safety. The cavalry arrived at noon, which meant I got to hang out at my motel (yes, Motel. How far the mighty have fallen) until close to 2:00pm. I liked the guy who installed my second in two months windshield, so chatting with him was fun.
I proceeded on my way, new windshield intact and grande latte in hand. Speeding happily down the highway, I got busted. By a motorcycle cop. He asked what color my eyes were, and I batted the lashes and said "blue, and yours?" He answered by asking how much I weigh. Well, Mr. So-and-so, I am a lady! So he asked me again. And I responded by accidentally closing the window. So, I got myself a ticket. Though he was nice and reduced my wild infraction and attempted to send me on my way. As I turned the key in the ignition, I realized that maybe my battery was in love with the old windshield and did not want to go on without him, so I got nothing. I tried and tried, but to no avail. I waved to the cop. He waved back. I shook my keys at him. He gave me a thumbs up. I gave him the come here, and he finally did. He called the highway patrol for me and AAA before zooming down the street. I then gave me key another twist and it turned out that the battery simply did not want to perform while the cop was watching. Don't know what the battery was afraid of. Maybe because I have a packet of salt on my gear shift, the fear was of "a salt and battery". I feel bad for not waiting around for the rescuers, but my need was over and I had a castle to see.

I headed off to Santa Cruz, home of the University of Dr. Becky. I drove around, but the restaurants were closed between 3-5 and it was 3:30. So I headed to the Mystery Spot, which took me on windy gravelly roads and honking cars. Well, honking at me, because I decided to go slowly around a sharp turn, and dammit! That was too slow! They wanted $5 for the tour and $5 for parking. So I, being slightly grumpy, turned around and left. Seriously, $10 for some optical illusions and a bunch of kids. Bah! So, I missed Santa Cruz, Becks. Arg. Next time we will go together.

So I drove into Carmel so I could have lunner at the Cypress Inn, which is owned by Doris Day and her son. Well, I drove all the way into Carmel, all the while being passed by Lamborghinis and Ferraris. I thought wow, the people here are RICH! But it was a car show and so all the streets were packed and there was noooo parking anywhere. Again, I was forced to move along.

I was driving down Hwy 1, and the views should have been beautiful, save for this bloody fog. See it? That is no wave, that's fog and it kept touching me and my precious car. So, I was forced to drive 1.4 mph down a windy, fog ridden road for 100 miles. Finally, I got to San Simeon where W.R. Hearst built his crazy palace. I have been so excited about seeing this place. I watched Citizen Kane, which is loosely based on Hearst. I used to read Cosmopolitan, which is a Hearst publication. I watched the TV movie The Hearst and Davies Affair. So, basically, I am an expert. (Rosebud). I finally got there, and walked into the visitor's center, right as they are closing up. AWESOME. So, this is what I got to see of the crazy Castle:
Sweet. It's not even in focus.

So, today was an exercise in futility. Tomorrow, I am headed in La La Land. Yay! Friends! As for tonight? I will attempt to sleep well in my bed in this motel in a town where no one I saw was less than 30 pounds overweight. G'night!

17 Comments:

Blogger Buggie said...

Did I mention that I got a new windshield the day before I headed off on this trip due to crack incurred at a carwash? Just the day before. So, it was not even 2 months old!

8/13/2008 03:00:00 AM  
Blogger DCSportsChick said...

Too bad you didn't get to see Hearst Castle- it's amazing. Even Frank liked it.

You must be doing some hard & fast driving to go through two windshields in two months!

8/13/2008 05:18:00 AM  
Blogger melissa said...

waaaa- waaaaaaaahhhhhh...

there's my attempt at typing debbie downer music.

8/13/2008 12:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Statistically, you're probably having more better days on the trip than you would be at work, so it's still a net positive even though that sounds like a rotten day.

8/13/2008 12:50:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like you are on a quest to see a Moose. You should be close to Wally World now.

8/13/2008 01:04:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bah. Although I think Matt speaks the truth.

Kisses on your forehead.

8/13/2008 09:14:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

in that first picture... I think I see a ghost!

Bug, watch out for the ghost in the backseat of your car, the ghost looks like it also has a camera

8/15/2008 06:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and why is that taxi cab dragging a cowboy hat?

8/16/2008 07:12:00 AM  
Blogger Law-Rah said...

That sucks. I think you need to invest in clear fingernail polish. It stops the crack from spreading. Then again, here's to hoping it doesn't happen again!

Brian, the hat was driving me crazy! What the heck?

8/17/2008 12:57:00 PM  
Blogger Buggie said...

I still have that hat! Love it!

3/15/2010 02:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best entry ever!

3/15/2010 02:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Alicia Skye said...

Were there any ghosts?

3/15/2010 02:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Emma Bourne said...

That sounds like it was a sucky day. You should have just taken one more night in SF. But at least the ticket was expunged. Good for you.

3/15/2010 02:48:00 PM  
Blogger Buggie said...

Cameras in my backseat!?! Yikes

3/15/2010 02:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Alicia Skye said...

ave you ever made it back to Hearst Castle?

3/15/2010 02:50:00 PM  
Blogger Buggie said...

Not yet. But I did read a Hearst Publication recently.

3/15/2010 02:50:00 PM  
Blogger Buggie said...

I never did see a moose either, Mark. I saw one when I was little in Canada.It was huge

3/15/2010 02:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home