Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Thursday, August 07, 2008

My week in the City of Roses

Well, it is hard to believe it was a week ago that I arrived on my aunt's doorstep. I suppose it is time to move along. I will be leaving this wonderful company tomorrow morning. In the meantime, this is what I was doing while you were all slaving away at your desks, earning money (can you send me some? Kidding...sort of...)
  • I went to my uncle's ranch. He has a bazillion acres of land and 2000 cattle (while I was there, though he sold some in the meantime). He has a bunch of beautiful ponds, most of which he established himself, (that is Mt. Hood in the background) on his property along with a gorgeous canyon that I think was made by God.

  • I tried my first huckleberry pie. Good mamba jamba. That is one good pie!
  • I picked blueberries (4.5 pounds) and probably only ate .5 lbs while doing so.
  • I got to meet and get to know two of my cousins and their families. Boy, I fit right in, here. They look just like me. (Or I like them? Whatever, they are simply stunning ladies.)
  • I went to see my Godfather and my aunt. I learned a new trick of making little slices into steak and stuffing garlic into the pockets made, then grilling the meat. Delish!
  • While at their house, I got to see another cousin I have not seen since I was 8. She looks like me a bit, too. They all stared at me for a while, though, because apparently the resemblance between me and my cousin Marci (Yes, her name is Marci. Hey, Baby Bananas: is my trip with all my new people with "Marci/a" names freaking you out or what??? It's crazy, ain't it?) is remarkable. Neat, I think. I look nothing like my mom's side of the family. My sister and my brother do. I like finding a place where my face fits in.

  • I went to the Oregon coast and shopping in Portland. (How come the Oregonians go to the coast and we go to the beach?)

  • I had dinner at one cousin's house and blueberry pie at my dopplegaengers. (Both super yummy and their kids are beyond fantastic.)

When I was little, people always told me I am similar to my aunt. After spending this week with her, the commonalities are overwhelming. We say the same things at the same time. We like the same things. We react the same way and even choose the same meals, the same gifts. It's weird, but oh so great and I am so very grateful to have gotten to spend this time getting to know her (and all the others I met this week). It has been wonderful and it will be hard driving away.


Still...

California or bust!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I put a moratorium on new Marci's for the rest of your trip! Bah!

8/12/2008 10:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home