Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

What happens in Vancouver... is shared here

Oh my goodness, I have so much to tell you. I was staying with my friend MarciA* and her husband just outside of Vancouver, BC which is why you have not heard from me in a while. But while you were feverishly refreshing my page, I was having a ball being a tourist with MarciA.
We went out to White Rock and wandered the beach. That's where I realized that Vancouverites really enjoy the colour orange. Seriously, it's every where! Check out this house.

This person is a true Vancouverite. The picture does not do it justice.

Then we went to a CFL game. The BC Lions were playing the Montreal Alouettes. The game started off really boring, but then the Lions started to realize they were actually at a real game and started to play properly and won by a very narrow margin in the last seconds of the game. I had a great time at the game, though AND MarciA and I met the mascot, Leo. Guess what colour the Lions wear...

That's right! Orange.

The next day MarciA and I went to Stanley Park where we found a couple of fellas who drove up in a DeLorean. I started smacking MarciA because we had to go get a picture. We headed over to see that not only did they arrive in a DeLorean, but one was dressed to the hilt in a Darth Vader costume (to attend a wedding. No, it was not a theme wedding). I think I love Vancouver.

Not quite certain why I am standing like an 8 year old, though.

Stanley Park is lovely though a lot of trees were taken out by a rather wicked storm a few years ago. We tried to go to the aquarium to see their baby beluga whale. Unfortunately the line wrapped around the building, so we walked on. Soon we found ourselves at the Capilano Suspension Bridge (where finally my student id got me a discount. Yay) and MarciA made me walk on a very long bridge that wobbled and shook. I am surprised at how much it freaked me out to walk on it. I was holding on for dear life and I could feel the fear build up in the bottom of my throat.

That's me hamming it up a bit for you, but I never let go of the railing. Seriously, it was a long way down. See?

Besides, MarciA was telling me about how a woman dropped her baby off the bridge and that made me envision that act which only made my knees more wobbly. (The baby survived and was taken from the woman). The other side of the bridge had more stable bridges to climb about on to get to various little treetop platforms. We gallivanted around there and when we finally had to go back over the suspension bridge, I was not quite as freaked out anymore.

I had a great time in Vancouver. MarciA cooked me breakfast every morning and we had beers and friendly conversation every evening. Her friends are awesome, as is her husband. It is so great to meet someone that just instantly becomes a friend for life. Two peas in a pod, we are.

Thanks a ton, you guys!!!

*I add the capital A to Marcia's name so that you know not to confuse her with the one and only Marci.

5 Comments:

Blogger DCSportsChick said...

I was wondering where you were!
Wonder what's up with the orange obsession?

7/30/2008 07:12:00 AM  
Blogger chanuck said...

It is "British" Columbia. The Orange Order is a big thing with the Protestants from Northern Ireland and Scotland. And Canada is choke full of people from Scotland.

7/30/2008 07:34:00 AM  
Blogger chanuck said...

Oh, so glad to see you posting again. Now get out of my country!

7/30/2008 07:35:00 AM  
Blogger Claudia said...

With all the orange that's sported on cars, clothes and buildings here in Austin, you'll think you're back in Vancouver.

I'm so confused by Darth Vader being a guest at a wedding. I'm just imagining going to a wedding and sharing a table with him. Photo op heaven.

7/30/2008 10:29:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Orange + MarciA = Me really trying not to be jealous. Can't say that I am sad about you posting on top of of this one :)

7/30/2008 11:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home