Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Tuesday, July 08, 2008

The children of the corn did not get me (yet).

I did not leave South Dakota until after 5:00pm yesterday, so I did not have the energy to tell my stories last night. Besides, I learned so much that I really need time to sit down and tell you all about it.

I went to the home of another of my mother's friend's yesterday at 10am and they could not get rid of me until I left again after 5PM.
First, when I drove into South Dakota, I have to admit to a bit of a sense of superiority. After all, I am from the Nation's Capital and I am sooo great. Better than you. Chatting with friend #1 on Sunday, then with the couple from yesterday, I realized how woefully off-base I am. These people have their fingers firmly on the pulse of the nation. Probably more so than me because they are not in the midst of it and can see the big picture.


We went for lunch at a place called Papa's where everyone knew everyone elses name and the fact that some stranger was sitting at the table caused a few people's eyes to wander over. I was treated to something called Chislik. This is mutton on a stick. It was rather tasty and apparently only available in Freeman. (Or thereabouts). I looked it up on line and the only mentions I could find were in people's blogs. Then I got to try what is called Grave Witching. We went out into the yard and I held two metal rods straight out in front of me. If you walk over water or a grave, the rods will cross. I was skeptical (can you imagine?) and wanted to see it demonstrated first. He walked and at one point the rods began to cross. They stayed crossed for about 2 meters and the uncrossed. I tried it and the same thing happened at the same spots. So I turned around and walked back and it happened again! Cool. Here's a video of someone doing it.


Then I learned that to make marbles prettier, people used to fry them. I think I may try this with my nephew. It cracks the glass within the marble, making a beautiful prism.


Then I got a lesson on the Hutterites. The people who live in Freeman are mostly Hutterites or Mennonites. The history is fascinating, yet too in depth for me to merely briefly touch upon, so I will post on that separately.

I had a great time in Freeman. I always wanted to live in a small town, and that was reinforced strongly this trip. I am so grateful for the generosity of my mother's friends.

The drive from SD to NE was boring and slow. I managed to get behind every single Semi on the road. The worst part is that the roads were single lane. It is rather scary to pass when you don't know if someone is going to come barrelling over the hill at 90 mph which would mean we would collide at 150-180 mph. Scary. (more maybe? I don't have a strong grasp of physics). But it seems like everyone was out baling hay. This was so pretty, the row of baled hay.

This is a Nebraska sunset. It was so beautiful.

Now I am in Kearney, NE. There is a fort museum here filled with ridiculous things like the first license plate issued in NE; bottle of wine purchased the day before prohibition, unopened (well, that may be interesting, though it would not remain unopened and who would get me out of jail?); prehistoric elephant teeth extracted from the lake behind the museum... I am sad I will miss it.

5 Comments:

Blogger chanuck said...

Nebraska?

Ugh Fly over country. ;-)

Great stuff and stay safe.

7/08/2008 05:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to Nebraska once.
That was pretty much it.

Marbles? That's so cool! Why were you doing that though? Are marbles the town's industry or something.

7/09/2008 09:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So it's true, they do deep-fry everything in the midwest.

7/10/2008 02:59:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OK, its been a coupe of days, where is the new entry????

very cool reading as you go along, almost like we are on the trip with you. More pictures please.

and your grasp of physics is correct, head on collisions are like adding the two speeds together, btw, why are you going 90 also, do I need to alert the local authorities???

7/10/2008 03:28:00 PM  
Blogger Buggie said...

Thanks Chanuck! I got out of Nebraska as soon as I could. Though the people were really nice.

Rich, I have not tried the marble thing yet, though I can't wait to.

Matt, I have not had much fried food yet, but not for lack of availability...

Brian, I am trying to write quality not quantity!!! I was not going 90. I was going 100. Just kidding.

7/12/2008 02:34:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home