Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Le Chaim

It’s time to get ready for Hanukkah. Only two more weeks until the Festival of Lights begins. At this time of year, I find myself embracing my place as a child of Israel. I am intrigued by the Jewish faith and culture, but Hanukkah time is when it captures me the most. I sing about the dreidel, I light the candles on the menorah, or I would had a found a cool one when I was in Prague last year. I celebrate in my own special way. This way includes one gentile and two half Jews, a decorated plunger, latkes, and a revamped dreidel song that gets new and improved stanzas every year. It is the most wonderful celebration and I do not think the tradition will ever die. In fact, this year should be the fifth anniversary of what we call Hanumas.

And yes, we started this long before TV land got the idea, which only feeds into my notion that some Hollywood writer has been having me followed as many of my ideas seem to find their way into the lives of our favorite television characters. I mean come on! I have told you this before, but I am going to repeat it. It’s important. Family Guy had Chris get a pimple which was called Doug. My ex had a huge-normous pimple on his chin that was so big I named it… Doug… and greeted it before I greeted him, every time I saw them. I can’t figure out why he dumped me. Doug emerged on Ex-guy’s chin a good two years before the show reintroduced him as a character. Hmm, I got totally off topic here. That never happens.

Apparently, I can’t just decide to be Jewish. Even if it is only at Hanukkah time. The most brilliant comic genius of our time, Michael Richards, stated that he is Jewish and that is why no one can be mad at him for what he said the other night at the Laugh factory in LA. He was “playing a role”. So he must have Jewish parents right? Nope. Well, then he obviously converted, correct? Huh uh.

What the heck, Michael Richards? You spout off racist remarks against all sorts of groups and then instead of accepting the responsibility for being an ass, you try to make up all sorts of excuses as to why? I would love to say man up and apologize for being such a complete and utter jackass, but honestly, you’ve fallen ever so far. The thing is people are pretty forgiving towards someone who is truly repentant. But you don’t want to deal with it, do you? "He wants to rest," the publicist said. "He's been talking to his psychiatrist."

Yeah, it’s pretty exhausting offending everyone.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

His problem is, he's not funny, and he's doing standup. These two things do not go well together.

Just remember to explain to those jews about baby jesus, as I did at Easter.

11/29/2006 02:48:00 PM  
Blogger KassyK said...

Love this post. As a Jew, I find Hannukkah such an amazing holiday too. That's not to say that it coinciding with my bday has ANYTHING to do with it.;-)

I just never wanted to celebrate Christmas (as many Jewish children do--we get JIPPED publicity wise)...I was always so proud to have my dreidel and my latkes. WOO HOO.

11/29/2006 04:09:00 PM  
Blogger Buggie said...

Yeah, it was good that you were there to educate, Lucky.

Thanks, Kassy! I think the fourth of July is fantastic and it has nothing to do with the fact that it makes sure people can play with me on my birthday because the whole Nation has the day after off.
Publicity about Hanukkah is getting better. You'd think with the Jewish population in the Hollywood Brass, we would hear about nothing BUT Hanukkah.

I lost my dreidel and need a new one. I need a fancy and classy menorah. I cannot wait to enjoy latkes and applesauce, Matsoh ball soup and Marci's Hanumas salad. Delish!

I had a little dreidel
Oops, I lost it one day
I ask to have another
For I want to play.
Oh dreidel dreidel dreidel
You went so far away
dreidel dreidel dreidel
Please come back and play..


(Not my best stanza, but I guess I am rusty. They might get better as the holiday draws near.)

11/29/2006 04:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hanumas: it's truly the best holiday of the year. Because I'm a half jew, it only makes sense that I get half ("Hanu") the holiday. J

11/29/2006 05:18:00 PM  
Blogger Ar-Jew-Tino said...

I, along with many of my Jewish friends, grew up with Xmas envy. We even had a Hannukah Bush one year. Now I'm proud of my peeps.

11/29/2006 06:16:00 PM  
Blogger Marci said...

I am so looking forward to the Hanumas this year. Buggie, it is your turn to host, no?

Dreidel dreidel dreidel
Chicago's cold today
dreidel dreidel dreidel
In Gold Coast I will play!
Hey!

And I am so proud to be a gentile. It sounds so much nicer than "pagen".

11/30/2006 03:37:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

did she mean "pagan" or is that some obscure jewish word that I don't know about?

11/30/2006 05:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home