Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Boo!

My favorite scary movie when I was little was Poltergeist. I remember watching it through the blanket, from between fingers in a Red Roof Inn somewhere in the Midwest. It terrified me. You could get sucked through the TV? But the TV is my special friend. He would never hurt me. (His pal DVR on the other hand can be a real ass. Thanks for not taping that episode of Gray’s Anatomy where Meredith gets her appendix out. Now I am out of the loop. Jerk.) Then to know the fact that some cast member died during or after each of the three films were made. Dominique Dunne was murdered by her boyfriend in 1982, the year Poltergeist was released. She was the older sister of Carrie Anne in the first Poltergeist. Julian Beck who played the old scary man Reverend Henry Kane in the second Poltergeist died during filming of stomach cancer. Finally, Heather O’Rourke, who played Carrie Anne, died the year that Poltergeist III was released.
Snopes tells me that I am being crazy in thinking there was a curse on that set, but I don’t care.
The Exorcist really got to me, more so than Poltergeist. I really believed in that stuff, and truthfully, I think I still might. Besides, when I was a teenager, someone told me that some guy fell down the Exorcist Stairs in Georgetown and broke his neck. I also heard that the phone booth at the top of the stairs had a “666” in it. I personally think I would feel possessed if I had to run up those stairs. Out.of.shape. There is one scene in The Exorcist were the demon’s face flashes kind of subliminally. It is really just a flash. But that flash is the scariest part of the movie to me. I had to freeze the frame and look at it until I could figure out how to recreate it with makeup before it stopped freaking me out. Strangely, I did not buy into the film “The Exorcism of Emily Rose”.
Some friends got together to huddle on the floor with adult beverages and prepare to be frightened by “Rosemary’s Baby”. Instead we laughed. It was almost silly. Especially towards the end when they are throwing the cocktail party and the woman raised her glass in a gleeful toast, “Hail Satan!”. That threw me into a fit of hysterical giggles.
The movies that truly scare me most are ones that show the evil side of humans. The Fortress was a terrifying movie about a teacher and her students who were kidnapped by a gang in Australia. It is vicious and violent and truthfully scared me to bits.
Another creepy one is The Hitcher. Hell, Rutger Hauer is simply creepy to me. The plotline from IMDB.com for The Hitcher is “A young man who escaped the clutches of a murderous hitch-hiker is subsequently stalked, framed for the hitcher's crimes, and has his life made into hell by the same man he escaped”. That movie scared me too, especially when the kid finds the amputated finger in his French fries. Don’t mess with the French fries!
This past weekend I spent in a haunted hotel. The ghost hunters were there and found paranormal activity in the hotel's restaurant. Apparently the ghost was also in our closet, rustling the coat hangers while we slept. I am not afraid of ghosts, it seems. I am merely afraid of the suckitude the people are capable of displaying and forcing upon one another. Therefore, no more comments that are crude, rude or simply don't apply to what I am saying. I see no reason for it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Marci said...

You wanna watch a scary movie on Friday night?

I don't have to run in the morning! I do have to bake. But no running :)

10/31/2006 05:17:00 PM  
Blogger Law-Rah said...

If I shall be allowed to put in my two cents, I was having some major trouble following your thoughts in this post, I think you should re-write it.

Oooo, I wanna watch a scary movie on Friday!

11/01/2006 08:16:00 AM  
Blogger Harmony said...

I have been up and down the stairs in G-town twice in my life. Both times I was totally trashed, but I made it up and down w/o falling.

We should go after I have the girls watch the movie!! :)

11/01/2006 08:36:00 AM  
Blogger Harmony said...

Oh and Mishie - YEAH to baking!!! on Sat morning!! The girls are going to be so excited!!! Me too, can you tell!!!!!!1111111!!!!!!!!!

11/01/2006 08:42:00 AM  
Blogger Buggie said...

M: YES! What shall we watch?

Laura: I am going to knock you down. tell your boyfriend to stop leaving crappy comments on my blog. ;)You may join us for films, though!

Harms: I too, am excited about the baking. She has a brilliant idea! YUM!

11/01/2006 08:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am scared by depressing/weird/black and white movies.

Like Eraserhead.

11/01/2006 10:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home