Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Today in History - August 10

Happy anniversary, Missouri. You became a US State in 1821. I have been to your silver arch. I understand that it is a shady place to be. I find it really strange that people from you call you mizoorah. What the..? Where does that pronounciation come from?
Missouri joined the Civil war in 1861 with the battle of Wilson's Creek. Lots of people died. Then in 1932, a meteorite broke into a few pieces and landed in Archie, Missouri. So, apparently August 10 is a busy day in Missouri's history.

Happy Anniversary to the Smithsonian which was chartered after James Smithson, a scientist, gave $500,000 in 1846. The Smithsonian is one of the many aspects of free entertainment that living in or near Washington, DC affords me. Alas, ask me the last time I was there.
I did go to the Holocaust Museum not too long ago, but only to peruse the bookstore and research my paper in the library. It is not a Smithsonian museum.
I took my mom through the National Museum of the American Indian which is a Smithsonian institution. Isn't "indian" an incorrect term? Shouldn't it be "National Museum of the Native American"? I got dizzy in there. They got all fancy with the displays and the glass is rounded so that it reflects all the light and everything that is behind you. I had to press my face to the glass and cup my hands around my eyes to see the displays.
When I was little, they had found an intact giant squid and placed it in the lobby of the Natural History Museum (my favorite). It was neat, but at that age, I had no idea what a rare find it was.
Final thought on the Smithsonian: If Mr. Smithson is the namesake, should we not pronounce it smithsunian?

Today was also a terrible day in regards to killers. The Manson cult, fresh from their murdering of Sharon Tate, et al. murder a couple more in 1969.
In 1977, NY cops arrested the "Son of Sam", David Berkowitz, a swell guy who killed lovers because his neighbor's black dog told him to. Uh, yeah...
In 1981 they found a part of Adam Walsh who had been kidnaped. (Full circle here...) Adam Walsh's murder prompted some serious change in legislation, creating both the Missing Children's Act and then in 2006 the Adam Walsh Child Protection & Safety Act. John Walsh, his father, also helped to create the television show "America's Most Wanted" and is a spokesperson for the National Center for Missing and exploited Children.

Also today: In 2003, some Russian guy married some Russian chick who was in Texas from outer space and some guy died after playing a video game for 49 hours in 2005.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Missourah is the "Show Me" state, which leads to all kinds of hilarious sexual innudendo.

I used to love running to look at the giant squid in the Natural History museum, one year the glass got cracked I remember. The natural history museum was also my favorite because of the scale model of the blue whale, the ancient near east exhibit where you can compare your height to the average heights of roman, egyptian, and mesopotamian citizens of the olden times, and lastly for the cartoon retelling of the epic of gilgamesh, complete with creepy music.

8/10/2006 11:58:00 AM  
Blogger Marci said...

I guess "Smithsoneum" was already taken.

8/10/2006 05:46:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I always liked the wooly mammoth for some reason.

8/10/2006 09:57:00 PM  
Blogger Buggie said...

And the tigers were cool, too. I Never understood the excitement over the Hope Diamond. I did, however, see a hugenormous yellow diamond at the Tiffany on 5th Avenue and holy smokes. I want.

8/11/2006 02:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home