Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Got hung up on hanging

When I was but a wee little larva someone taught me that if a person strung themselves up with a noose, they "hanged" themselves. I have never forgotten this lesson and it is thus that I cringe when people say that someone "hung" themselves.
Should you hear that someone hung themselves, you could assume that they were hanging by their finger tips, or that they suspended themselves in some manner. Maybe some bully came by and dangled them by their underpants from a hook. Usually, a hung person is still alive. A hung jury is unable to reach a verdict. A hung man is... well, call me. William Hung should NOT call me. Were the pictures properly hung?
If you are going to hang yourself, the proper term is that So-and-so hanged themselves.

Bug A. Bugger
Grammar Police

5 Comments:

Blogger I-66 said...

And while we're at it, the word is "regardless", not "irregardless"

8/30/2006 10:01:00 AM  
Blogger Run said...

Yes easy way to remember is, people when being executed are 'hanged', things are ‘hung’.

And I'd like to add the following lesson... the word ASK A-S-K is not interchangeable with AX . You never AX a question or need to AX someone unless your really pissed and in need of bloodshed.

(I managed to delete myself somehow...bah)

8/30/2006 02:26:00 PM  
Blogger Buggie said...

Ohhhhhh, I have soo many!!! Don't say supposably. What is that? No.

And quit with the "where you at?" already. There are so many things wrong with that phrase that my brain simply whirs, makes a crackling sound and smoke begins to waft from my ears.

8/30/2006 04:58:00 PM  
Blogger Harmony said...

Where you at B???? hee heee :) Not funny?!!! I drive my boss crazy with all my improper grammer, but she is consistent in making me a better person, "for the kids" she tells me!!

8/31/2006 08:11:00 AM  
Blogger Marci said...

I originaly read this post thinking I had clicked on Clussy's link (on Bloglines, the templates don't show) and the whole time I was wondering why in the hell Cluss sounded so much like Bug. Heh.

8/31/2006 12:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home