Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

ciamar a tha thu?

Dico tibi verum, libertas optima rerum; Nunquam servili sub nexu vivito, fili.

My son, I tell thee soothfastlie, No gift is like to libertie; Then never live in slaverie.
-Wm. Wallace

Today marks the day that William Wallace was executed all the way back in 1305. They may have taken his life, but they'll NEVER TAKE HIS FREEDOM!!! They did, however, want to make sure he was really really dead by decapitating him, and then he was drawn and quartered with the help of four horses pulling in four directions (The four horrors. Four!) But to make sure that he didn't want to come back to life, they emasculated him. No boy wants that! They went on to display his head on a pinnacle on London bridge and his limbs in four different towns in the kingdom.

William Wallace was 6'7". (Why on Earth did pipsqueaky Aussie Mel gibson play him? Well, comparably at 5'10" he is a pipsqueak. I like that word pipsqueak. No, now it no longer makes sense to me.) I looked all over to see if the Scots of that time actually painted their faces blue, but could find no record of it. Also, I am pretty sure they had armor, not just kilts protecting their wee bits. See this statue from Edinburgh.

I want to horseback ride through the highlands of Scotland and stay overnight in the castles. Who wants to join me?

Please promise that you read this entry (that was brought to you by the number four) with a Scottish brogue. If you didn't, go back and do it now. Rrrrrrrreally rrrrroll those Rrrrrr's.

If you'd only have the courage to lead them to freedom, they'd follow you.
And so would I.

10 Comments:

Blogger I-66 said...

I can't do the Scottish brogue right now. I'm too busie replacing my Ys with IEs.

8/23/2006 03:01:00 PM  
Blogger Buggie said...

Whie are ieou doing that?

8/23/2006 03:17:00 PM  
Blogger I-66 said...

"My son, I tell thee soothfastlie, No gift is like to libertie; Then never live in slaverie."

Actually I guess not all of them, just when they end a word with a long E sound.

8/23/2006 03:23:00 PM  
Blogger chanuck said...

Would love to head out to Scotland, but I think Uncle Sam might have something to say about it. Someday.
Though you don't need to go to far to see a statue of Wallace. Baltimore has one.

http://www.parksandpeople.org/publications/Connections/200604Main.html

8/23/2006 03:26:00 PM  
Blogger Tyler said...

I'll horseback ride with you and stay in castles!! I love the castles in Scotland!! :)

8/23/2006 03:41:00 PM  
Blogger Marci said...

Look at Clussy, who knew she was such a little parks & rec know-it-all?

Buggie, when ieou write it that waie, you can see where theie get their accent from. Cool.

8/23/2006 05:27:00 PM  
Blogger Buggie said...

Where is Clussie? Are ieou confusing the Chanuck with Clussie again? :)
Yay, Tieler!!! When can we go?
How far is Frederick from Baltimore? We should go visit Mr. Wallace, Chanuck.

8/24/2006 08:18:00 AM  
Blogger chanuck said...

I am all for it. I see road trip in our future. Too far for the Fred-neck trip though.

8/24/2006 08:30:00 AM  
Blogger Claudia said...

Marrrciee is still hungoverrr from Frrridaie's happie birrrthdaie celebrrration?

8/24/2006 10:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my understanding is that they did paint their faces blue, and also the castles but the producers didn't do the castles in blue because they thought it would be unbelievable to the general public.

10/22/2006 03:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home