Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Friday, July 21, 2006

I'll just sit here with you

I was just in the bathroom washing my hands, when a co-worker came in, went into a stall and started to talk to me. I hate that. So weird to speak when you know someone is half naked and emitting fluids from their body. That, however, is not the point of my entry today. She was talking to me about a friend of her's who is dying of pancreatic cancer. She lives on the west coast. I asked if she was going to visit her and she said no. She was saving her money for the funeral, but would call her a few times a week and also send care packages.
I got to wondering what I would do in her situation. I think I would rather be there now, though my friend was probably suffering terribly. I think I would want that chance to be together, to reminisce, to create new memories. I think I would rather be there for her while she was still around because once someone is gone, you can't get that back.

3 Comments:

Blogger d-town said...

Re: the dying friend. If it was a close friend, I'd have no qualms about going both times, even if I had to run up a little debt to do so. My closest friends & family members are so vital to me that I'd drop anything in a heartbeat to be with them if I knew that our time together was soon to end.

Re: the bathroom. Yeah, even if you are one of those friends described above, do not under any circumstances speak to me whilst I am reliving myself. Hell, I'm gay and it still weirds me out to stand by a guy peeing.

7/21/2006 05:13:00 PM  
Blogger Buggie said...

I like my privacy in the bathroom. I don't want you in there with me, and I don't want you to leave the door open when you are in there. That's one time when being alone is fantastic.

7/21/2006 11:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agree on the privacy thing! On the dying friend - I would want to have a final visit, tempered by the thought that the memories of that could be of a friend who was not really him/herself. Agree with Taylor that over-budget spending would be appropriate for a close friend, especially if being at the funeral would reconnect with mutual friends.

7/22/2006 06:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home