Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

I can't come up with a good title for this.

I love David Sedaris. I love Amy Sedaris. I got to see David read some of his material yesterday, but Amy was nowhere to be found. Prior to finding our seats in the auditorium he spoke in, my friends and I had a few beverages. (Or as Marci liked to call it, dinner.) Now, being a responsible adult, I went potty before I sat down to enjoy the literary stylings of DS. But, they are not kidding when they say you rent beer. It’s hard to laugh hysterically whilst concentrating on your overfilled bladder. The mantra in my head was “be funny faster!”. But an hour and a half flew by, and I really enjoyed the show. David Sedaris has been reading to rowdy (ok, not so much rowdy) crowds like us for years. It was heartening to see that he can screw up, too. He’d lose his place or stutter over a word and I thought, well cripes… He is a professional. I should not be so hard on myself or my friends when we mash two words together to come up with some gibberish… Like drastic and dramatic make dramastic. Or how Marci once said that her mom went on a tyrant. (Tirade and rant.) I still think that is hilarious and I am probably going to get into trouble for bringing it up. It’s worth it! I also related to his random naming of books. “Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim” had nothing to do with anything in the book. He named it after a dream his boyfriend had. A collection of short stories he compiled was named after a work of art he laid eyes upon in a museum. “Children Playing Before a Statue of Hercules”. Naming my little observations is my favorite part of having a blog to write in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home