Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Hanamas

For a few years now, I have been quietly celebrating Hanukkah. Luckily, I have a few friends who like to join me in the celebration. And then, to add to the joyous occasion, we found out that one of the posse is part Jewish. Not just Jewish at Hanukkah time, either. Hence, the first Hanamas. 1/2 HANUkkah and 1/2 ChristMAS. (Hmm, I think maybe we should spell it Hanumas. We each spell it differently. Ah! the advent of a new holiday!)
The first celebration of Hanumas is recorded to have occurred on January 15, 2005. (At Jen's new pad. By the way, hats off to a beautiful home.)
We started off with a nice meal that included:

  • Matzo ball soup
  • Latkes with apple sauce and sour cream
  • Christmas salad with walnuts, dried blueberries, goat cheese and cherry tomatoes.

We enjoyed a lovely mulled wine and retired to the living room where we feverishly tore through fantastic gifts aplenty.

While the customs of Hanumas have yet to be written in stone, here are some of them:

  1. We believe that there are 10 evenings of Hanumas, as there are 8 nights of Hanukkah and 12 days of Christmas.
  2. There is one song (sung to the tune of Driedel, dreidel dreidel...)


Plunger, plunger, plunger
You're better than a tree
And when we go to Bug's house
We can finally pee

Hannamus is coming
That is very clear
We'll open lots of presents
And drinks some wine and beer
Hey!

Presents Presents Presents
They're my favorite kind of treat
Plus my two best girlfriends
Who are so very sweet
Hey!

I will drink lots of glu-wein
I will drink tons of beer
and if you give me latkes
I'll stick them in my ear
oh!
(I am certain that more stanzas will be added. I wish I could remember the ones sung at the Hanumas dinner table)

That's all the customs so far. I hope the other participants of this wondrous holiday will help me out if I forgot anything.)

HAPPY HANUMAS

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home