Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Monday, October 15, 2007

Americans can't act?

I have been watching a lot of the new shows, and I noticed that many of these American characters are being played by foreigners. Take the Bionic Woman for example. She is an all American girl, yet Michelle Ryan who plays her says things like "bugger" and "wanker" when she is off the set.

Alex O'Loughlin makes an adorable American vampire on Moonlight, but does his lunch include a Vegemite sandwich and a quick listen to Men at Work? He is quite the Aussie.

So what's going on? Is our American accent too weird? Will people who watch a lot of TV (like me) get used to the way these fake Americans speak? Why not just cast Americans as Americans? OR can we cast foreigners as Americans and the let the Americans fill the foreign roles? Then it WOULD be acting!

Anyway, here is a list I compiled. I kept it to the network stations and the CW. I am sure I missed some, so please share if you caught some I didn't. And God bless the Aussies for continually cranking out one hottie after another and sending them to the States.

Australia:
Alex O'Loughlin "Moonlight" CBS
Rachel Griffiths "Brothers and Sisters" ABC
John Pyper-Ferguson "Brothers and Sisters" ABC
Dominic Purcell "Prison Break" Fox Born in England but raised in Australia by his Norwegian father and Irish mother
Yvonne Strahovski “Chuck” NBC
Poppy Montgomery “Without a Trace” CBS
Anthony LaPaglia “Without a Trace” CBS

Canada:
Missy Peregrym “Reaper” CW
Kristin Kreuk “Smallville” CW
Erica Durance “Smallville” CW
Taylor Kitsch “Friday Night Lights” NBC
Sarah Chalke “Scrubs” NBC
Evangeline Lilly “Lost” ABC

England:
Sophia Myles "Moonlight" ABC
Hugh Laurie "House" Fox
Michelle Ryan “Bionic Woman” NBC
Anna Friel “Pushing Daisies” ABC
Damian Lewis “Life” NBC
Ed Westwick “Gossip Girl” CW

France:
Michael Vartan “Big Shots” ABC

Scotland:
Kevin McKidd “Journeyman” NBC

South Africa
Adhir Kalyan “Aliens in America” CW

Wales:
Matthew Rhys "Brothers and Sisters" ABC

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's because American actors are too busy getting drunk in LA!

For the nerd in you -most Sci-Fi channel shows have british actors too.

10/16/2007 10:20:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You watched The Seventh Seal? What did you think?

10/16/2007 12:00:00 PM  
Blogger Buggie said...

Good point, Anon!

I liked The Seventh Seal. I thought it was interesting. Though it blew a perception for me in that I had thought Max Von Sydow was German when he is in fact a Swede. Who knew?

10/16/2007 12:29:00 PM  
Blogger chanuck said...

I told you Canadians are going to take over this country and we are starting with LA first.

10/16/2007 03:05:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

A lot of the Sci-Fi folks are also Canadian.

Good post Buggie.

10/23/2007 04:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home