Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Monday, June 12, 2006

Today in History

Boy, a lot happened on June 12 throughout history!

  • Today in 1929, Anne Frank was born. You all might remember her as the spirited child whose diary allowed us a peek into the world of a Jewish family in hiding during WWII. Her life ended in Bergen-Belsen, not in a gas chamber, but rather of Typhus. She was 15.
  • 1994 brought about the murders of Nicole Brown-Simpson and Ronald Goldman. And, yeah, I totally think OJ Simpson did it. And did you hear that he is now a sex addict? Man, why didn't I meet him when I lived in LA?
  • Gregory Peck died in 2003. I am sure he is rolling around in his grave due to the remake of the Omen, which featured him as the only watchable part in the original.
  • South Africa sentenced Nelson Mandela to life in prison back in 1964. He was released in 1990, making South Africa's sentence of "life" approximately double that of the American life sentence. (Though, I think when they said life, they meant his life.)
  • In 1978, David Berkowitz, "The Son of Sam", was sentenced to 365 years for shooting lovers who were inappropriately making out in cars in NYC. But seriously, get a room, people.
  • Baseball fans in 1981 were screwed out of 49 days of baseball due to a strike for free-agent compensation, which I believe was the beginning of insane baseballer salaries.
  • Reagan challenges Gorbachev with "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" My mom has a piece of the wall in her upstairs bathroom. And should you be interested in seeing a huge slab of the wall, get yourself over to the Ronald Reagan building in DC on 14th street. I never understood why they'd have a slab of the Berlin Wall in there, until I wrote this little blurb. (Hey, I never said I was smart!)

Most importantly, today is Clussy's birthday! In honor of our South American Princess, we shall celebrate:

  • Clussy shares a birthday with fellow South American hottie, Brazillian model Adrianna Lima.
  • Today in Brazil, they celebrate Dia dos Namorados which is Lover's Day; similar to St. Valentine's.

Happy Birthday Clussy! This one is for you.

14 Comments:

Blogger Claudia said...

How appropriate that that lil sex kitten (Adrianna) happens to be my favorite VS model too!

I remember I was working (Bennigans) that day (OJ fiasco... and my b'day) and we were all watching the chase on TV. Crazy... he totally did it. "If the glove don't fit" is bullshit.

Tiara please?

Thank you Buggie. Send you hugs and smooches and our many of our little girly giggles (read: HAAAAAAAA!!!).

6/12/2006 05:15:00 PM  
Blogger Marci said...

I was working on that day too. Apparently Clussy Day is Labor Day?

Standing at the step of the bar, watching the Bronco drive along...

and HAAAAAAAA! to Clussy's "HAAAAAAAAA!!!".

6/12/2006 05:42:00 PM  
Blogger Buggie said...

I was working that day, too! hmm and HAAAAA!!!1!1!1!!1!!!!

6/12/2006 08:09:00 PM  
Blogger Crazy Girl City said...

You forgot the ever important:

1976: The day CrazyGirlMama went into labor for 12 hours with her CrazyGirlBebe only to finally push her out the next day on the 13th.

Haha.

6/12/2006 08:47:00 PM  
Blogger Harmony said...

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

I was there too, hangin over in "80's", wasn't that the section over by the bar??? Damn it's been a loooong time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love you Clussita, Happy Birthday!!!

and love my Bennigans girls too!!!

6/13/2006 08:17:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have this strange desire to go to Bennigans.

6/13/2006 11:31:00 AM  
Blogger I-66 said...

Happy belated birthday Clussy!

OJ killed them. There are no questions about that... But sex addict? At least he didn't mix the two...

6/13/2006 03:04:00 PM  
Blogger Claudia said...

Thank you i-66! Is this about the time I should be making a 'fine as aged wine' reference to myself? No? Not even just a little bit?

So we were all there watching? Sounds about right. What was that older man who always wore suits and glasses who sat up at the bar table and chatted us all up? I think he was there that day too. Random memory.

6/13/2006 04:22:00 PM  
Blogger Buggie said...

Careful with those aged comments, Cluss. Remember, I am several years wiser than you. And I will kick you. (You know this!)
Aw, I miss Bennigan's. (DID I TYPE THAT OUT LOUD???)
Remember the creepy guy who would fold dollar bills into animals and such? I still have some of those. Wonder if Kathy and Brian are still together. Wonder if he has any hair left. Wonder who we worked with is now on the sex offenders chart... Kidding... sort of...
We should have a reunion.

6/13/2006 06:49:00 PM  
Blogger Buggie said...

Happy birthday, crazy girl!!! Call your momma and say thanks!

6/13/2006 06:49:00 PM  
Blogger Claudia said...

Yeah, so many pervs in one contained area... And we were such innocent, unjaded young, wide-eyed girls who could only suck on ice and tie cherry stems in double knots in anticipation of one day finding our true loves to share our world with... ((double sigh... stare off into distance while doing difficult math problem in my head)). I'd call that place our 'coming of age' joint, maybe?

I was just thinking of commenting on the beat downs you'd give me as you laughed and I cowered into the hostess booth. I dreaded when Harms or Marsh would come over and make funnies or when I'd inadvertantly make you laugh and all I would see is a crazed look come over your face and your knuckles come flying at my shoulder. Good times ((shudder)).

Seriously, thanks for the blast of nostalgia. I love that we have such memories that we can toss around and laugh (daintily?) at.

Love you. ((exaggerated smooch sound))

6/13/2006 09:02:00 PM  
Blogger Harmony said...

My lil inncoent girls in til you met ME!!!! HAAAAAA!!! I sware I remember sharing stories with both of you and you two just starring at me like I was a talk show!! We do have lots of memories there though and after.....

IBA!!!! (pounding my fist in to my chest) Love you ladies

6/14/2006 08:22:00 AM  
Blogger Marci said...

Harms, WERE a talk show! We didn't think those things actually happened.

Cluss - coming of age, totally! I got a taste of all sorts of debaucherous behavior due to that place! Blame Bennigan's!

6/14/2006 12:15:00 PM  
Blogger Buggie said...

Oh man. I consider those my college days. I miss parts of it. Not the least of which being the education I received (cowering) from Harms. Yipes. I certainly got my money's worth there. ;)
I was terrified of what she would tell me, but captivated at the same time.
I'm lucky to have gotten you three out of there. Maybe I need to go work in a restaurant again.. All my friends seem to have come from that line of work with me.

6/14/2006 02:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home