Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Monday, August 15, 2005

Nice to meet you, now leave me alone

I went grocery shopping tonight because I am desirous of a nice, yummy home cooked meal. (And I am a damn fine cook, if I say so my own damn self.) (And am totally not above announcing it to the world every chance I get... See here and here.)
This guy comes up to me and asks if I was just shopping at Trader Joe's and as I had been, I answered yes. So we started talking, mostly about what we were doing in the grocery store. He waved two cans of tuna at me and I waved my basket of random goodies at him. He gave me a nice Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe and then had me guess where he was from.
Me: Um, Italy? Greece? I dunno
Him: You'll never guess it.
Me: Howzabout you tell then, hmm?
So he's from Mexico and he tells me I am surprised because he is so tall and not like 85% of the other Mexicans that came here because they are mostly poor and that's when I started to tune out.
So I am starting to say, very nice to meet you, must continue my shopping and he asks me for my card. I tell him I don't have one on me, because, well... I don't. Then I start to stammer something about being busy and all that and he cuts me off and says that it's okay. He understands. I don't need to make excuses. Then we make some more small talk and part ways.

I kind of felt bad that I was making excuses. But I don't know how to act in a situation like that. I don't know how to say goodbye without either coming across as a complete bitch or a totally waffler, like I did today. I am not flirting, but if you talk to me, I will talk back to you. (Though this apparently makes me a flirt... I don't get it. I guess I should just holler NO! when someone talks to me.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow...the tall meHEcan grocery store poacher. You don't see too many of those today; they are a dying breed. (thankfully)

Should have guessed polish...see if he got the joke.

8/15/2005 08:30:00 PM  
Blogger Claudia said...

Wait, so is he saying he's better than me because he's tall and not poor? ...oh... wait, I'm not MeHEcan? right... so. ok. He sounds quite charming [gag]

See, because I am paranoid and cynical of people's intentions (you know this all too well, wait, what was my nickname that stemmed from my paranoia back in the days?) I don't chat with random people unless they're harmless looking women and even then, sometimes they talk too much and I'm uncomfortable with that. You've always talked to 'strangers' longer than I ever would want to but maybe it's because you're more interested in other people in general. I don't know. I'm just rambling in response to what your post brought to mind. Alrighty then.

8/16/2005 10:49:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Or, you could have pulled the old Ron Burgandy and said "I'm sorry, I don't speak spanish."

8/17/2005 05:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home