Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

UNCLE!

On Monday I had a long and unpleasant conversation with a woman in HR about why I cannot claim overtime hours anymore. I would go into detail, but I am not keen on talking about work on here. But let’s just say it was out of control and set the stage for a fantastic week in the life of Bug.

I have had this intense knot in my back, right below my left shoulder blade. I have been doing exercises and seeing the chiropractor, but it just does not want to go away. The problem with it is that it leaves me achy and uncomfortable all day long. But that is just the very tip of the iceberg right now.

I found out last week that the police car that hit my parked car in December is protected under some sovereign rule that allows the City to not have to pay damages. Unfortunately for me, the cop who wrote up the report told me to get the car fixed and then send in the bills for reimbursement. Now I am $600 in the hole for something I would never have fixed had they not told me to. I don’t get how they can not be responsible. I could see that law protecting the officer, but the city should still be liable. AND if they weren’t going to take responsibility, was it really necessary for the cop in question to wake me up at 5 am and shine a flashlight in my eyes, not once, but twice? Then drag my tail out to witness the damage to my car that he was not responsible for? Couldn’t he just have left a not on my windshield that said something like “sorry I hit your car, but it is really not my problem. Deal with it.” At least I could have slept a little longer.

On Monday I noticed that both my headlights burned out, so in order to visit Laura, I had to take a cab because I was not about to get a ticket for driving at night without working headlights.

On Tuesday, I brought my car to the shop. At approximately 4pm, my phone rang and the shop was letting me know that because Jiffy Lube broke some part of the filter thingy when they changed my oil in January, the car’s been leaking oil for the past three months and I will now need a new engine. Cool! The technician asked me to bring in all of my oil change receipts to demonstrate that I take care of my car and maybe the dealership can give me an engine… If not, it’s only going to be about $5000. No problem. Don’t forget the cost of the rental car for the two weeks the repairs will take. You know, I rarely take the car to Jiffy Lube. In fact, this car has only been there once. It was in January, when they broke it. I took a car I used to own to Jiffy Lube once and they forgot to replace a bolt they had removed so the car leaked oil, too. Broke that car too. It’s so frustrating that I might have to replace my whole car because I was doing what they tell us to do every 3000 miles. Can jiffy Lube employees really be that stupid? (Doing the thing they do 100 times every single day?) So now I have to wait to see if my dealership will cover any of this, and if I have to pay for it, I can’t even work overtime to earn some extra cash.

After work I drove home to get the receipts and realized I left my house key on my key ring. So I had to leave home and drive to the dealership, get my key, return home, get the receipts, drive back, drop off the receipts, and go back home AGAIN.

This morning I woke up and drove my rental to work. As I got into the elevator, I hit my floor and all the lights went out and the door stayed open. I got out and took a different elevator to the lobby. From there I climbed aboard a new elevator with a girl from the floor above mine. I hit 10 (my floor) and she hit 11. The elevator flew past 10 to 11, dropped two floors (as did my heart and stomach), flew back up and stopped. We were stuck. Hit the alarm. It buzzed impotently. Hit the call button where we got a crackly voice informing us of something… but there was no comprehension of what she said. Half an hour later they pry the doors open and we had to jump out of the elevator which was stuck between the 11th floor and the roof. I still needed to go to the tenth floor, so I took the stairs. There I was stuck because our building is secure, and the door to the stairs was locked from the inside AND there is no card swiping device to recognize me as a good guy. I was trapped. I used my rapidly dying cell phone to call a co-worker to rescue me. There was no chance in hell that I was walking down 10 flights only to encase myself in the terrifying death box again. (A box, I have to say, that has no discernible escape hatch).

The best part of it all? Right now I have a migraine that is beating me to a pulp. I type this with one eye closed because these big blind spots are taking over my vision and I can’t see most of the screen. I am shaking and pukey feeling. Pretty soon you will find me huddling in the corner, a quivering weepy mess.


Laura sent this picture to me this morning and I feel it adequately demonstrates how the universe is feeling about me at the moment.

4 Comments:

Blogger Claudia said...

ACK! Stuck in an elevator for half an hour? WTF? Seriously, this week is some sort of character building for you or something. Well, you'll just have to spatter all the more great punctuations throughout it to balance it out, Si?

Happy Hump Day? All skating easy from here on out this week? It's gotta be!

I still can't believe that about the cop hitting your car. That's so wrong. I mean, I'm on expert on laws but that's just freaking sucky any way you look at it. Frustrating.

3/19/2008 12:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you got your tickets punched for the whole year. It might've sucked in the short term but at least you've gotten it all out of the way, yes?

3/19/2008 01:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just might bookmark this to come back and read on those days when I think I have it bad... and remember it could be so much worse! And those JL guys? The only thing they need to know how to do all day every day is change the oil, and they still screwed up? Ha!
Hope it gets better from here for ya!

3/19/2008 03:09:00 PM  
Blogger JessT said...

Buggie, Buggie, Buggie. I feel so overwhelmed right now after reading this and it didn't even HAPPEN to me. What a horrendous week -- and it's not even over! Bug needs some comfort. What can mama do?

3/20/2008 09:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home