Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Mmmm, lunch!

I had a cheeseburger for lunch yesterday. When I was sixteen, I stopped eating red meat because I was skeeved out by finding various arteries and such in my food. I remember eating some (probably very cheap) piece of meat and basically flossing on a tendon. That was the end of that for me. But, 15 years later, a boy that I liked very much would eat everything. I went along for the ride and thusly had a cheeseburger for lunch yesterday.
One thing I do that I almost wish I didn't is closely examine my food. One time I was kind of glad I do, but generally one should just jam into one's gullet, chew and swallow and try not to think too hard about it.
The one time I was glad was when a group of us were having brunch at Bambule on Wisconsin Ave. in Washington, DC. I got some milk out of a huge vat for my cereal. I sat down and noticed some crazy little black dots. That's not normal. Usually milk is just plain white, not polka dotted. I fished out a black dot and let's just say it was alive and usually found on dead things. Nasty. We called the waiter over and he said he would get me more milk...out of the same vat. Um, no thanks. We called the manager who said that he was sorry. We complained more loudly and he refunded my meal. Er.. What about those at the table who'd actually ingested the milk with extra protein? Finally he comped the whole meal, but my issue was with the milk. I told him he needed to get rid of the milk and also let the people know. He refused. Refused! So as I left, I told all the people with milk not to drink it as strange things were afoot in there.
So yesterday I had a cheeseburger for lunch. I noticed all these little gristly things. I don't know if that is the norm with cheeseburgers, but I shrugged my shoulders and chowed on.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eiw!! I went vegetarian for 8 years for the exact same reasons. Back on the meat again these days but I can't help but inspect and de-vein every bite before it goes in my mouth.

5/15/2007 10:33:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you just convinced me to have hummus for lunch today.

For the record, vegetables can be pretty gross too, with like molds and insects and growing eyes and stuff.

5/15/2007 10:46:00 AM  
Blogger Miss Scarlet said...

I should have read this after lunch.

5/15/2007 12:00:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh, that was the grossest thing ever! Remember how mad we were? Tapping on people's shoulders to tell them to look at their squirmming rice krispies. Ew.

5/15/2007 12:13:00 PM  
Blogger Claudia Y Sean said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5/17/2007 12:39:00 PM  
Blogger Claudia said...

Why do I remember that being at La Madeiline (sp)?

I remember not eating meat or any other animal products (except rocks of the ocean) but I happily wore them w/out thinking I was a walking oxymoron. "ohhhhh, the cruelty to the animals when they're killed for food... but if they're massacred in the name of fashion, then they go willingly?

Were the burger gristles moving or staring back with dead expressions?

5/17/2007 12:42:00 PM  
Blogger Harmony said...

GROSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think I will eat for a while!!!

BAD Memories, not Cluss it was Bambule or whatever Bug said, I still have menu from there.

5/23/2007 02:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home