Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Thursday, February 08, 2007

I wonder if God will forgive us for the things we have done to each other

Dear Academy:

Why did you not nominate "Blood Diamond" as a best picture contender? This movie, while extremely violent and painful to watch, was brilliantly executed (pardon my choice of words there); passionately and fantastically acted; and based on a story that absolutely needed to be told. Do you guys honestly think "Babel" is better? I am afraid I will have to disagree. While both films take place in Africa (T.I.A.*), Babel was a bit convoluted for my tastes with so many story lines, some of which really never had a place in the final product. While I did enjoy "Babel", I have to say that all in all the value of "Blood Diamond" far out weighs the heavy handedness of the message displayed in "Babel", which almost seemed to be look how awful Americans are. Yes, I am fully aware that the story was about communication, but Brad Pitt's character forced the world to stop for him and his injured wife, taken nothing but himself and her into regard. Then there is the Border Patrol... In any case, this letter is not about "Babel" which I found to be a fine movie, it is about "Blood Diamond" which I found to be an excellent movie.

How horrific is this life that millions of people live every day? We know about the atrocities that happened in WWII, and most of us acknowledge their horrors. How is it that we can turn a blind eye to this immense violence that is uselessly claiming the lives of entire nations? And for what? So that these rampaging idiots can buy more weapons? On a side note: why is it that the rampaging idiots always seem to be about? Per example: Idi Amin; Stalin; Hitler, to name some obvious few. Why don't we catch on to them before the take over and being to slaughter? (We can do profiling on serial killers and terrorists, but somehow have not quite figured out how to pick up on the not-so-subtle cues of dictators.)

I apologize, dear Academy. As you know, I am an avid fan. I attempt to watch all the movies that you nominate. Thus far I have 18 under my belt. How many have you actually watched?

I commend you for last year. I think choosing "Crash" as best picture clearly defined you as a modern, edgy panel of judges. This year, however, I think you missed the boat. Just barely, but missed it just the same.

"Blood Diamond" was jarring and frightening, overwhelming and funny at times. South Africa, as much of Africa, is simply beautiful.

And on a personal note: I would like to thank Leonardo DiCaprio for his strident measures to have successfully become a tasty piece of eye candy, and to Djimon Hounsou who never stopped being one!

Best Regards,
Bug E. Bugger
Film Aficionado


Related letter:

Dear Grandparents sitting in the row before me:

Why did you bring your 5 year old granddaughter and 10 year old grandson to this film? Why did you watch the entire film with them even though children, their ages, were point blank shooting people in the face? What on Earth would make you think that they should be exposed to such depravity and violence when they should still be believing in Santa and that the world is rosy and great? It's so sad to me. Even if they have already been exposed to violence, why more? Why so young? I could understand maybe a 12 year old seeing it with parents who want them to understand what that strife is like, but 5..? Really? How will you talk to her about it? What will you say that she will understand?
I am very disappointed in you.

Sincerely,
Ms. Bugger


*This is Africa.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is america bug, violence is always ok for kids as long as there are no bad words or boobies.

Mugabe is today's hitler.

2/08/2007 11:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

or in a video game. Tv and movies are ok still.

2/09/2007 10:57:00 AM  
Blogger Buggie said...

Hmm, and there were no boobies. Just men in low-slung towels. (Thank you)

2/12/2007 09:35:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe they thought nominating Hotel Rwanda last year was enough? Another great movie that got folks riled up for a few months, and later nothing came of it. I have a feeling this will happen with this movie as well. A shame.

2/13/2007 01:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home