Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Friday, January 12, 2007

It's listed under fiction. Geez.

I read the Da Vinci code. I was as smitten as everyone else was (save for the jaded Barnes and Noble employees who scoffed at the lemmings racing to purchase Dan Brown’s book). I though the book was clever and it made me really analyze da Vinci’s works. It educated me on some aspects of history I was not very erudite about, like the issues da Vinci had with the papacy and the Knights Templar.

I did not, however, decide that this book was a work of non-fiction. The folks who fell hook, line and sinker for it, remind me of the people who decided that L. Ron Hubbard’s science fiction novel was fact and helped him make a religion out of it.

My issues with the reactions to the story are as follows:

Just because da Vinci believed that Mary and Jesus were together does not mean they were. After all, he was born 1400 years after Jesus died. Maybe his works were created to snub the Catholic Church and had no basis in reality.

Even if Sophie Neveu was the descendant of Mary Magdalene, it does not mean she is the progeny of Christ.

If they did find the body of Mary Magdalene, why didn’t they test the DNA?

It’s just a book, a story spun from the creative expanses of one man’s head.

1 Comments:

Blogger Noelle said...

There's a great comic book series called "Preacher" where they reveal the progeny of Christ in modern day is an inbred imbecile. Sophie Neveau was indeed much cuter, but not as realistic. Of course, in the comic there was also a vampire, and a man who could make people do anything he spoke, so I'm going to go ahead and label it all as fiction.

1/25/2007 09:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home