Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

More like Screamgirls...

My mom and I saw "Dreamgirls" on Sunday. This was never a movie high on my list, but since it was nominated for so many Academy Awards, I thought I had better see it. The first thing I got out of it was a lot of booby flailing. They all did it, but damn, when Jennifer Hudson set those puppies to moving, best get out of her way. This was not the most attractive dance maneuver I have taken in.

I have to say that I did not like this movie. I thought it was contrived and boring. My mom fell asleep during part of it and I glanced at her with the longing for the sweet release of sleep. (Why I am wide awake for this, when I can't stay awake to save my life in The Last King of Scotland?)

You know how I said that the film xXx was written by 13 year old boys? Well, this film was written by 13 year old girls. It is all boobies and flash and the stage. Suddenly the group becomes hyper famous, one girl gets left out, the others get snarky and she is cast out on her own. That sounds like the stories I wrote when I was a kid.

You want to like Effie, but all I could think was Shut the hell up already! Beyonce's character was boring and never really fleshed out at all. None of the characters were. They all were so one dimensional. I think the only one who actually did something with her role or maybe had a role that allowed her to do something with it was the role was Lorrell (Anika Noni Rose), and even that is a stretch.

The girl who played Michelle (Sharon Leal) is beautiful. And I liked some of the costumes…
But I hated the songs, I hated the fact that I felt like I was being yelled at the whole time. No one had to tell J. Hudson to "Sing out, Louise!" I wish someone had said, make us want more sometimes, Jen! We get it. You've got pipes! OK. But you also have a microphone. I'm just sayin'…

And why did all the men have these pansy voices?
At the end, Effie walks to Curtis and the spotlight hits her and she starts to sing again and I just shrank into my seat with a huge sigh because I didn't want to hear anymore singing.

I can't figure this one out. It's nice to have operettas back, but this one sucked.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

More like, "Mean Squirrels"

2/02/2007 09:56:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home