Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Screw your Happy Holidays!

I feel fake everytime I tell someone "Happy Holidays!". I am a Christian and I celebrate Christmas. I also celebrate Hanumas. So I want to tell you Merry Christmas. Or perhaps Happy Hanumas. And if you are Jewish and would like to wish me a Happy Hanukkah, or perhaps you celebrate Kwanzaa and would care to explain the traditions to me... I would gladly rejoice with you. If I know that you celebrate a different holiday than I do at this time, I would love to wish you a Happy (Fill in space)!
What the heck is going on that we cannot be joyous in our own beliefs and still honor others? Are we supposed to pretend like we are all the same? We're not. So what? That's what makes everything so interesting. Instead of acting blind to our differences, we should appreciate them, learn from them and become better because of them.

Merry Christmas!
Happy Hanukkah!
Etc...

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my God, I could not agree with you more. I'm always paranoid each year as I choose my holiday cards: "does this sufficiently generalize the sentiment so that I can send it to a variety of people with a variety of beliefs?" Jen

12/12/2006 09:35:00 AM  
Blogger Law-Rah said...

Yeah, this irritates me! When I was starting the charity last year, I chose the name "Caravan for Christmas" because that is exactly what it was. People immediately brought up the political incorrectness of limiting it to Christmas. In the true spirit of the season, I told them to eff off:-)

12/12/2006 11:10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12/12/2006 11:58:00 AM  
Blogger honeykbee said...

It's the thought that counts. Anyone who doesn't get that doesn't matter.

12/12/2006 02:16:00 PM  
Blogger recovering overachiever said...

I agree, it feels very forced to say "happy holidays." "Merry Christmas" comes out a lot easier for me because I grew up in a Christian household.
For me, these greetings are like when people say "God Bless You." It's not that people assume you believe in God, it's just a warm sentiment that a person is passing on to you.
So Merry Christmas everyone.

12/12/2006 02:32:00 PM  
Blogger Marci said...

But didn't you guys hear!?!? The War on Christmas is over!

Wal-Mart has offcially gone back to wishes of "Merry Christmas" over the bland "Happy Holidays"...and we all know that Wal-Mart controls the world. Let the Christmas wishes of merriment fly!

12/12/2006 04:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Instead of "Merry Christmas!" or "Happy Holidays!" I like to say, "Uno Love Tap!"

12/12/2006 05:54:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to cringe at the term Happy Holidays as well.

But really, the root of the word Holiday is two words, Holy and Day.

Whether you are Jewish or a full blown believer that the Messiah has come, you can wrap up those well wishes in the phrase Happy Holiday without feeling the sense of betraying one's beliefs.

No?

12/13/2006 12:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That said...


MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

12/13/2006 12:18:00 PM  
Blogger Buggie said...

I am such a hypocrite. I have been "Happy Holiday"ing my way through town. I guess my fear of offending is so ingrained and is strongly than my moral indignation.

12/20/2006 06:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home