Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

I'm smarter in English

I went to Germany in November.
Now, while I have spoken German all of my life, being in the States helps me to lose a lot of vocabulary. I speak to my mum and to people at my church, yet that does not bolster the language as much as if I was, oh I dunno, actually speaking German every day. Besides my mom lets me get away with Engrish. Like in the email I sent her recently: German, German, German, "Actions have consequences" German, German, German. (Because I did not know how to say that in German.)
The first two days in Germany involved me saying a lot of things like "what does that mean?" and "huh?". After a few days of being immersed, I was much more comfortable in speaking. It's just the slang that loses me.
But let me give an example of how I speak German when I am not certain of the words...
Me: It's like that animal with the horns? You know, a male cow.. in a china store.
Them: A Bull?
Me: Seriously? It's bull in German, too? I totally knew that. Shameful.
Let me tell you how frustrating it is to not have a strong grasp of a language! I kept looking at my friends and thinking, I am really not this dumb. You should hear me speak English. I am really smart in English.

6 Comments:

Blogger Marci said...

What would the German equivalent of Engrish be?

3/07/2006 05:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

say Deutsch phonetically, the way an english speaker would, that would be the equivalent.

3/07/2006 07:04:00 PM  
Blogger Harmony said...

I speak spanish daily to a co-worker that doesn't speak English and she is always correcting my grammer, drives me crazy!!! The nice thing is when others hear they are so impressed cause I can carry on a conversation, but really it's all jacked up.

3/08/2006 01:17:00 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

just repeat 'Kaum waren wir angekommen als es angefangen hat zu regnen' like a mantra. You'll soon be back to fluency.

3/09/2006 10:54:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was out last night with some German girls and attempting to impress people with my knowledge of the language. I kept saying things like "I don't like Tesco because there are too many of my relatives there." Not at all what I intended.

3/10/2006 07:13:00 AM  
Blogger Buggie said...

Hey Matt, that is actually what mu mom said. The weather over there is horrendous.
Harms, I am impressed. I Can't claim any credit for speaking German. It was taught at the same time as English.
Marci: I think we call it Deutschlisch.
Meg: I need more of your translations, cause Damn girl, you funny.

3/10/2006 07:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home