Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Man shopping.

I was just perusing match.com. Apparently being single is a big travesty and when people find out that I am single, they always try to get me to use one of the online dating programs that are available. So I decided to see what the fuss was about.
Now, one thing that is important to know is that it is difficult to meet people in DC. (One good way to get a boyfriend is to keep your ugly talons in some other girl's boyfriend.) But that makes for some possibilities, I guess, on these matchmaking websites.
So, I went on to Match.com. I found what I considered to be a good-looking feller. I pull up his photos and read his file. Alas, sarcasm is a turn-off for him. We'd never work out. But I looked around some more and the whole thing struck me as bizarre. Perusing men on these websites is like shopping for an MP3 player on Overstock.com. You look over the photos. You check out the measurements. You decide if the features suit your needs. Hmm, that one is too complicated. Oh, that one does not have enough memory. Oh, that one does not come in the colors I want. Bizarre.
I guess I will wait to do it in the old fashioned way.
See a hottie across the bar. Drink until I have enough courage. Head over and make an ass of myself in person.

12 Comments:

Blogger Mona said...

just surfin the blogosphere. found your blog. pretty funny about match.com. i now know 2 people who've married their match.com finds. pretty funny. and i'm not gonna lie, i did it for a couple months, before i met my boyfriend outside of the match world. used to live in dc, kinda miss that town!

10/22/2005 03:40:00 PM  
Blogger Buggie said...

Really? You miss DC? I am so ready to move out this town where it seems that no cares about anyone but themselves. The politics here permeate everything and completely overwhelm me.
I know a girl who married her match.com guy, too. They seem super happy. I think to succeed in finding a mate on Match, you have to be committed to finding a relationship. I am not there. I think right now that I am still recovering from the last one that I am not ready to try for a new one.

10/22/2005 03:49:00 PM  
Blogger kob said...

Like this post -- perhaps a dating site for bloggers only; where snark and sarcasm are turn-ons.

10/22/2005 05:51:00 PM  
Blogger Buggie said...

KOB
That is a brilliant idea. Wonder if people would find true love on a site like that.

10/22/2005 06:19:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That really is a great idea!

10/23/2005 03:13:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Doesn't that site already exist? I think it's called "It really is just a blog in my pocket" or something like that.

*smirk*

Oh...wait...no. That site is just snark and sarcasm...no dating.

10/23/2005 03:51:00 PM  
Blogger alwswrite said...

Online dating makes it too easy, too impersonal. You can go out with someone three, four, five times and still not feel invested because you know there are so many other fish in the D.C. (pardon the lousy pun), and you know they know it too. There's definitely something to be said for a date inspired by chemistry, rather than chemistry inspired by a date.

And for the record, I think being single is pretty freakin' great.

10/24/2005 09:54:00 AM  
Blogger Run said...

I'm not a fan of online dating...your basically choosing to be with someone because they may have witty (or what seems to be witty to you) writing skills.

What if the dude is a sucky writer? What if he's not so good on paper but great in life? Or vice versa.

I guess it works for some people but I'm too random for it.

10/25/2005 05:18:00 PM  
Blogger Harmony said...

you want to do one of those 6 minute dating things with me??? I looked in to them before but it would be so much more fun to go with someone, although our taste are way different.

Like you though, still in recovery process, no real desire to date, just have company.

10/26/2005 04:01:00 PM  
Blogger Buggie said...

Would do that with you Harmsy. If for nothing else, to have something to write about.

10/27/2005 06:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone I met on Match told me that it's just like a bar. You do the same thing but online. It is a bit bizzare though but we still pick out men in a bar, ask him all the same questions and then either move on or not.

6/25/2008 05:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anita said...

I also tried many dating sites, but unfortunately most of guys there are kind of freaks, they tend to have some strange desires, no wander why they are single.

9/14/2011 09:54:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home