Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Sunday, September 11, 2005

Remember


I went to New York for a few days and in that time went to the World Trade Center site. Sadly, they have made it very hard to view anything, but I managed to snap this photo that shows nothing.
There were a ton of Toronto police in their dress uniforms visiting that day. (It was on Sept. 9th.) There was also a lot of press and other people paying their respects so soon to the anniversary. I had no idea they were going to put up the towers of light again. I wish I could have seen them.
Marci and my friend Roger and I went to NYC a few years ago and managed to see the lights on the night they were extinguished.
It's hard to fathom that two huge buildings stood in this spot a few years ago. (And the other buildings that were destroyed.)
We visited a building that housed the American Express offices. they had lost 11 people on 9/11. They made a beautiful memorial to them called "11 Tears" in their lobby. The memorial has the names of the victims along with a bit of their character engraved in granite with a crystal in the center of a pool. It is so beautiful.

I know that this entry is a bit all over the place. I just wanted to take a moment and remember the events of September 11, 2001. I can't imagine the pain of all the victims and the survivors and the families and friends of everyone affected by this. And in a situation like this, words from me are meaningless.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still have not gone anywhere near that place in the last four years. EVERYONE around here that I know, thinks they should have re-built it exactly the same way it was only maybe a few stories taller. The monstrosity they still thinking about considering finalizing the preliminary plans for, looks goofy.

9/12/2005 01:19:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I haven't visited either, but I think I'm ready to.

Those are some nice photos despite the fact that the view of "ground zero NY" was blocked off.

9/12/2005 09:16:00 AM  
Blogger Run said...

I was in Hoboken with my sister last night for dinner and saw the lights. It was beautiful to see them on such a clear night.

It amazes me that 4 years have passed, the memory of seeing those buildings collapse across the river are still very clear.

I'm not crazy about the new plans but I'm glad they were revised from the original design. I don't know if anyone's had a chance to go to the WTC path station since it reopened in 03...it was very sad.

9/12/2005 10:23:00 AM  
Blogger Marci said...

Yeah, it still stings to see old movies and tv shows that show the NYC skyline with the towers still intact. And when I drive past the Pentagon, on that west side especially, I still visualize what it must have looked like sitting in traffic watching it all unfold.

9/12/2005 10:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home