Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Age 13

As you can probably tell, I went rummaging through my mum's old photos. I found a stack and hence the random biographical photo essay.
Since you've met my folks and one of their (the most important one, obviously) creations, I decided to start at age thirteen and go backwards. Mostly, because I have been talking soo much about that age and my desire to be it again. I am a LIAR! I was some serious unfortunate at 13. (Though age 12 was worse. We'll get to that later.)
Some things I recall about myself at age 13. Banana clips, a math teacher who h.a.t.e.d me. I was probably the shortest kid in my class. I had a boyfriend named Scott who had brown hair and blue eyes. We made out by his locker and I felt cooool! I had a core of friends with whom I hung out at Godfather's pizza after school and played Super Mario Brothers at People's Drug. I was damn good at that game. Could play for half an hour on a single quarter.
I was in a confirmation class at my church where I was woefully uncool until the girls took me aside and showed me how to feather my hair and look like a fluffy lion. I greeted my mother at the airport with this delight of a hairstyle and she almost passed out.
My best friend was Kristy was a year under me (and a foot taller. WTF?). She was cool and pretty and taught me how to shave my legs. We traded clothes and makeup, blue makeup. She was the pioneer of the art of practicing kissing pillows, doorknobs, and your own hand. One night I spent the night at her house. (We were practically inseparable.) Kristy had a waterbed and one night I woke up all wet. She was sound asleep. I still question that heavily. Who leaked?
Our group of friends played a lot of spin the bottle that year. I had a friend named Lori (I think her name was Lori) who was my age, but looked a lot older than me. She was also much more socially advanced than I was. (Am?!? Ha!) I tried to have a nice 14th birthday party, but no one came. (Sad, I know.) So Kristy called her boyfriend who arrived with his older brother. The five of us hung out in my parents rec room. After a little while Kristy and her boyfriend were making out and so were Lori and the older brother. That's right. Happy freakin' Birthday to me. This was typical. Poor little Bug.
That was age 13.
So I present to you, with a ton of embarrassment, my 8th grade photo. I actually looked like this. Yikes. Check out the sweet sweatshirt with the multi-colored handprints. The necklace is a penny that had been shot through with a bb gun. I wore it on a chain forever. I wonder if I still have it? The hair is a perm that was brushed through and the feathered side thingies met in the back of my head to create a butt. Hottie!

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ahhhhhh....the old Godfather's pizza. Good times...good times.

I'm not going to say much 'bout the picture other than I remember this girl, 'cause then you'll like force me to cough up Martin@13.

9/03/2005 10:25:00 PM  
Blogger E. Kwan said...

Hi, just checked out your blog, saw you left a comment, thanks! ta ta for now.

CSS

9/04/2005 12:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone was putting his hands all over you! unacceptable!
(are you not running out of gas in your area?)

9/04/2005 06:54:00 PM  
Blogger Claudia said...

Wow, I have a new level of respect for you. That's a statement if I ever read/saw one.

You're almost sporting a she-mullet.

I don't remember nearly this much about 13 because I think I blocked most of it all out. My awkward stage was from 7 to 27. I blocked it all out. ;-)

9/04/2005 09:57:00 PM  
Blogger pstvnrgy said...

You have some huge BALLS woman! I don't think I could post my pics from this time period. But I'm glad that bad hair just goes with this age. ;)

9/05/2005 10:39:00 PM  
Blogger Marci said...

Oh this is classic! I had a very similar hairstyle at 12. By 13, I was "cool" - with a bob and a perm. yikes!

9/06/2005 11:59:00 AM  
Blogger Run said...

Wow you have some very detailed memories of 13! I can only remember up until 10 years ago (kinda) I'm with Cluss I blocked everything from my childhood and am still trying to get out of my awkward stage :\

hhmm I say everyone should post a pic of themselves at 13 :D do it do it do it do it!!

9/06/2005 08:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home