Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Friday, July 29, 2005

Hi!

I was leaving work today and a woman with a little girl in the backseat drove by me. The little girl raised her hand in a wave to me and without thought, I waved back. It filled me with such a flush of pleasure that all the way home, I contemplated the sweetness of a smile, wave or any sort of gesture that demonstrates that you are being recognized and appreciated for the simple reason of being there.
Sometimes, when I am out by myself, I become so self contained (self conscious?) that I have a hard time letting go of myself enough to appreciate others with a smile or a nod. I know this partially due to bad experiences. But, when someone smiles at me, someone who has no intention behind that smile other than to smile, I sometimes am not programmed properly to respond in turn. But still, that smile will infect me so the next person I see will receive one. I am certain that it is a domino effect.
I think we should take those extra little steps to take care of the people who live in our world. I think that a smile from a stranger is a simple step to keep from becoming completely isolated for people who don't get enough social interaction. Imagine feeling completely invisible, a smile could re-open doors of hope for you. (Of course I am saying this with the concept in mind that the person is of sound mind. Not scary stalker material.)
On the scary stalker note: Seriously people. Just because someone talks to you does not open a door for obsessiveness. (Just a side note. Nothing that affects me. Just felt an obligation to touch on this subject as I was attempting to get people to take a chance with their fellow mankind. But not at a risk of their own safety.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Run said...

eh, sometimes it's nice to get a smile but I've had my share of creepy people that I smile back to and then I get pulled into uncomfortable conversation and have to hear whatever might be pissing them off that day.

These days I'd much rather not be noticed than to have to lose 10 of time getting an ear full from some freak.

I'm liking the virtual smiles though! :)

7/30/2005 06:43:00 AM  
Blogger Harmony said...

You know I am one of those people always walking around making eye contact with strangers and giving out as many smiles and hellos as I can when I am out. I am a nut, I know.

8/01/2005 11:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home