Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The way

I need to do something. I just don’t know what or how. I had an idea to take a road trip across the States, but if I were to do that I would like to go for a month or so to really get to see things. How do I do that and keep my job?

I feel like I would like to go help out someplace, like in a New Orleans school. I feel like I need to give something back, to do something that would be beneficial for our country but I do not know how to go about doing it.

Maybe my intentions are not quite so noble. It could be that I just need to get a change of scenery to change the way I see things, the way I deal with things, and the way my life is headed. Not to say that any of those ways are bad, I just feel stuck and I have felt stuck for so long that I am getting to the point where I will either just resign myself to it, or chew my feet off.
I have been in Washington, DC too long. By that I mean that I have become so very myopic. I can’t see past the way we do things here, the way we see things. It confounds me that people life differently, think differently, act differently than we do. I need to witness it, interact with it in order to get a better understanding of what this world is all about.

I have a couple of ideas, but they seem to each have a snag. The Peace Corps wants a two year commitment (I am a bit of a commitment-phobe). The volunteer programs want you to donate and pay your own way. However, if I am volunteering, I am not bringing in income and to have to pay is a double loss of funds which I am not prepared for.

I know that I could fulfill my philanthropic desires by volunteering on weekends with Habitat for Humanity, or March of Dimes, but a weekend mission is not what I need. I need to be removed from my current situation and placed into another in order to truly learn, truly experience the differences this world is comprised of.

Who would have a thought this would be so difficult?

2 Comments:

Blogger Claudia said...

Come live here for a month (tell your job you're doing a sabbatical), get lost in state parks with me and do some volunteer work here. That way you get to live in a different environment, see how a different region lives and interacts (it's the friendly interactions here that get me on a regular, people didn't smile and talk to strangers like this in DC area) and feel yourself take it all in. Then find a friend in another state/area, do the same and ... oh wait, that'd involve a lot of time off. Hmm... Figure out what you need to keep your condo/car/credit payments up for a few months (before law school starts?) and make it work. Bill can stay w/your Mom for a bit? Just thinking out loud with you.

4/16/2008 12:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's wrong with the suggestion I made last week?

4/16/2008 03:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home