Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Um.. I don't know how to feel about it

I saw “There Will be Blood” last night. I was told it was good. I knew it was going to be long. It was good and long. But did it have a point? I sat through the whole thing and wondered what message I was apparently missing. I wondered why I was being told this tale. I know the film is based on a story by Upton Sinclair and I really enjoyed “The Jungle” when I was kid even if it did make me suspect sausage.

The story was very interesting, but it never seemed to make a point. Was the point about how both religion and money can ruin people? I dunno. I am flummoxed. I have never watched a movie that was well made, and that I actually enjoyed, but had no seeming reason for being told.

I need some discussion on this.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't seen it, but isn't it a Cohen bros. movie? If so I wouldn't look too hard for a deeper meaning.

I never actually read the jungle, but would like to some day. I know that it's not really about sausages at all, and Upton would probably be pretty annoyed that that's all it's remembered for.

2/06/2008 10:50:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, I would name my first child Upton if it didn't go so poorly with Gibson

2/06/2008 10:51:00 AM  
Blogger Buggie said...

It is not a Coen Brothers movie. That would be "No Country for Old Men". That was a great movie.

As for the sausages in The Jungle, I often find that an aspect of books that is not the main subject is what I focus on.

2/06/2008 12:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, your story checks out.

According to IMDB, the blood movie is by the guy who directed "Saturday Night Live: The Best of Molly Shannon" so again, I wouldn't look to hard for a deeper meaning.

Actually he did direct Boogie Nights which I loved, but he wrote Magnolia which I hated - DUMBEST MOVIE EVER! But neither of them seemed really to have a really profound message outside of "Hey check out this killer soundtrack!"

2/06/2008 03:43:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home