Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Mormon?

First off I want to say that I analyze everything too much and if you don't agree with me, or have no interest in reading an opinion that is not your own, move along. This is just something that was on my mind today, and I felt like writing about it.

Is it just me, or is the whole basis behind Joseph Smith’s creation of the Mormon faith just a bit shady. First, some golden tablet that no one else sees is revealed to him by an angel named Moroni. Now, maybe it is true… or else Mr. Smith paid tribute to the current president of the time, James Monroe. OR the whole thing was a joke and he named the angel “Moroni” because only a moron would fall for this?
I am getting myself in deep here with Mormons. Hey, I think if you have faith in a higher power, that is a wonderful thing and no one can take it away from you. I just question the origins of this particular faith a bit, perhaps because it is easily traceable, having been created less than 200 years ago.
What happened to the golden tablet? Why could Joseph Smith only read it when he was wearing his special hat? (I read that he had to omit any light in order to read the tablets, and that is why he wore the hat.. or maybe it was to hide the fact that there were no golden tablets?)
His father-in-law wanted to see these tablets. Joseph refused permission. Joseph said that, if anyone besides himself looked at the golden plates, it would mean instant death for the person. . Ya. Apparently, no one else could read the tablets anyway, could they have seen them. The only person who happened to have the decoder was… You guessed it! Joseph Smith. Convenient.
So anyway, a vision that he had said to him that HE should start a church and HE should be the leader of it. Fishy. So he went from being a treasure hunter to a church leader…
I am sorry to offend those who have belief in his deeds, but as an American I can proudly question whatever the hell I wanna. I question the living bejesus out of Joseph Smith’s story. According to the scriptures which Joseph was translating, Christ himself had come to America before his ascension. (Because we know how easy travel was during those days… especially across a myriad of seas.)
I do not know why the sudden Anti-Joseph Smith rant. I have never thought he was a very believable person. I am a little scared to travel to Salt Lake City and the shows I have seen on some of the polygamous routines of some people, (which I understand now to not be sanctified by the Mormon Church, but was a huge part of Joseph Smith’s ideal lifestyle, much to the chagrin of his wife Emma), horrifies my senses.
But I do like almost every Mormon I have ever met. I love the fact that so many Mormon families adopt children and raise good people. I love the elders in their little suits on their bicycles. I adore that these kids go around and spread the word about their faith. I think the Mormon Temple in Rockville is beautiful, like the Emerald City in the Wizard of Oz. I totally went to a Mormon Church every Sunday I was in Fredericksburg in the summers of my youth and loved every minute of it.
But whatever happened to those golden tablets?

7 Comments:

Blogger Marci said...

Wanna go on a trasure hun to find the stinkin' things?

1/20/2006 09:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right. The whole thing has seemed bogus since it was explained to me on South Park.

1/23/2006 04:33:00 PM  
Blogger Marci said...

South Park has taught us much about religion.

1/24/2006 12:19:00 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Mormons are a bit kooky.

Except for Dale Murphy.

1/24/2006 03:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There were 3 witnesses that were shown the gold plates, and another 8 witnesses that also saw them. They testified to that effect and their statement is in any copy of the Book of Mormon. Just FYI.

9/10/2007 12:43:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wade: Well that contradicts his story then. Only "he" could lay eyes on the tablets, as anyone else would die. That's what he said....

3/13/2009 12:05:00 PM  
Blogger ahenobarbus said...

Mormonism is not unique in this regard, there are no religions that make sense when examined with any trace of discrimination or rationality.

10/25/2009 04:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home