Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Late night writing ramblings.

In my last post I mentioned that I did not quite grasp the importance of electing a black President. In the meantime, I got to spend some time with two 14 year old girls who not only knew that Obama was elected, were elated to know this. A birthday gift they received was one of MLK and Obama stating one had the dream, and the other was it. Their mother told me that they dissolved into happy tears at his election because now they truly believe that they CAN do anything, be anything. How remarkable. How sad for us that they did not feel that way before. This country should be beyond the notion that some people are not as good as others. It is incomprehensible to me that the caste system is still quietly (not always quietly) running.

Of course now I have to temper this by saying that I do believe some people are more talented, or more intelligent, or simply more capable at some things and we should allow everyone to succeed at what they would excel at (not ending sentence with prepositions is not something I excel at). We should also allow people to be the best they can be without falsely inflating their actual accomplishments (that one's for you, Harvard). We should also allow them to be excellent at jobs that don't require an IQ of 150 or a inclination towards understanding astrophysics.

Now that it is on the table that everyone should be free to attempt to thrive in any situation, can we please stop coddling our children so that they are incapable of accomplishing anything on their own? No more doing their homework.

This post did not pan out the way I had initial planned for it. But well, Harmony tells me that is simply what happens when writing blog posts sometimes. Lord knows, looking back on previous entries, that I often veer into the next lane. It is why you all love me. Either that or you are too afraid to let go. Both ways work for me! Kisses!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Harmony said...

I love you!!! Girls are waiting for a special day to wear their shirts, I told them everyday is special!!!! :)

11/18/2008 08:58:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love, checking in.

11/18/2008 09:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home