Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Friday, August 03, 2007

Now I am never going over the Bay Bridge again!

Terrifying and unbelievable.
 
As someone who has a natural aversion to bridges, the collapse of the Minneapolis bridge is exceptionally horrifying. It's so mind-boggling that a foundation like that can break apart with seemingly little force. I have no idea what structural damage had been accrueing, but it had been inspected and (barely) passed. How does it come apart in such a spectacular way? Not to minimize the horror of what truly happened, but imagine this being the GW bridge in New York during rush hour.
Marci was just in Minneapolis. What if she had been on the bridge?

Terrifying and unbelievable.

2 Comments:

Blogger Granny Annie said...

I was finally getting over my bridge phobia and now this. If I am halted on a bridge due to traffic backups I can easily go into a panic attack. And we live in Oklahoma which is now showing the longest list of unstable bridges in the nation. If you will remember a few years back a huge bridge collapsed on highway 40 outside of Oklahoma City. What's a person to do? So glad your daughter was not on that bridge!

8/05/2007 11:10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! I really am younger than you, aren't I! :)

Yeah, this one hit a little too close to home. You know, I was terrified of that bridge as a kid -- not that it was particularly scary (there are scarier ones for sure), but it was high enough and we crossed it enough that I think it's the cause of my aversion to bridges now that I am a driving adult.

8/06/2007 08:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home