Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Alphabet series - W

Walter Stark was in my English class in the 7th grade. I guess I was a bit of a smartass in that class because I recall more time in the hallway than in my seat. I also wrote an essay one time that ended up being one really long run-on sentence and my teacher wrote as a critique that "One sentence does not a paragraph make." I hated this statement of hers so much that 21 years later I can still repeat it verbatim.
Walter was short and looked like a character on the Little Rascals. He had black hair that stood up straight along his severe side-part and so many freckles. He was the one who named me "Bugeater". Because I had such a crush on him, (yes, my taste in men has always been a little wonky... First crush-Phil Collins.) I decided to like my new nickname as opposed to come completely unglued and hence began the Bug. Bug stuck and was cemented by my days at Bennigan's where my name had simply too many letters in it for the general populous of the restaurant. (Though we had nametags that were erasable and my name changed every day. One day I wrote "tired" on my nametag and people asked how to pronounce my name and so I told them Ty-Red. And they found it to be so exotic.)
At the seventh grade dance, I asked Walter to dance with me. I think he may have, or else it was a traumatic experience that I have shoved from my memory because he laughed at me. Don't quite recall.
Anyway, I am Buggie because of a short, dark-haired boy with a mazillion freckles. Walter.

1 Comments:

Blogger Marci said...

It wasn't until 7th grade? I thought it was so much earlier.

Now I need to go look in the year book to see if I can find our dear Walter.

7/11/2006 12:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home