Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Thursday, May 18, 2006

You're neat!

John Spencer died December 16, 2005. The West Wing came to a halt last week. In memory of both the great actor and the great show (at least the first couple seasons.) I want to relay what I am sure touched the man's heart deep in the cockles and became a favored anecdote for him to share on talk shows and with his friends.

Funeral service for Mrs. Landingham. West Wing set. It was Saturday, April 28, 2001. Washington Cathedral, Washington, DC. I had just come from the craft service table, my hands laden with Twizzlers and M&M's. I was walking forward, looking behind me at the treats I had left behind when suddenly my shoulder landed squarely on another. BAM! I mumbled sorry, while trying to maintain the precious equilibrium of the candy in my hands. Suddenly, I caught a glimpse of who I had savagely checked. LEO MCGARRY! Why he is my favorite character. Normally, I am not the player of the fan role, but I could not stop myself. He walked past me and I poked him with my little finger right in the shoulder I had so abused but a moment before. "Hey!", I said.
He turned to look at me and said, "yes?"
Panic! Um.. Don't say it!
"You're neat!"
He said thanks without a change of expression and walked on (maybe to the craft service table?).


I still think you are neat, Mr. Spencer. Hope Heaven is all it's cracked up to be.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no idea what your're talking about bug... what are cockels? I thought they were like the clams that Molly Malone sold "alive - alive - ho"....

hmmmm


Ho?


must revisit that song.

5/18/2006 08:38:00 PM  
Blogger Harmony said...

There you are my little buttercup!!! Miss U

5/19/2006 09:35:00 AM  
Blogger Roar Savage said...

What a cute story! I loooove early West Wing, too.

5/19/2006 09:41:00 AM  
Blogger Marci said...

Buggie, you're neat too!

5/19/2006 12:27:00 PM  
Blogger Buggie said...

Aw thanks, Marci! I think you are neat, too. In fact, all of you are neat!
Roar: Too bad the show got kind of dumb. But while we were filming in the Cathedral, there is a scene were the President was conversating with God, and he lit a cigarette in the middle of the chapel and then threw it to the ground and stepped on it. You should have seen the reactions of horror from the Cathedral staff! Great stuff. (They catered a good lunch, too.) AND Rob Lowe hit on me. (You knew I would not stay mum on that one for long, right, Marci?)

5/19/2006 01:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home