Ah Bugger

The vapid utterings of a neurotic mind.

My Photo
Name:
Location: DC, United States

I ain't too proud to bug.

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Best thing I have read in a while

I was just lying in my bed and I opened "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley. It is a book I loved when I read so many years ago and I decided to re-address it. I read the first paragraph of the Foreward and I truly hope the publishers will forgive me as I know this is a nono. I just had to put this out there, as this may be the best thing I have read in a while. So simple. So true. here it goes.

Chronic remorse, as all the moralists are agreed, is a most undesirable sentiment. If you have behaved badly, repent, make what amends you can and address yourself to the task of behaving better next time. On no account brood over your wrong-doing. Rolling in the muck is not the best way of getting clean.

How many times have beaten myself up over things that I have done to people. But truth be told, I can't take back my actions. So I apologize and vow to not make the same mistakes again. It is just so much more eloquent when it comes from Aldous Huxley. I just had to share. Gnight.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that. "Rolling in the muck is not the best way of getting clean." Sometimes that past behavior stuff will come to the surface and bite you and you're like: "AHHH -- I did that???" If you think about it too much, it will make you crazy. Best to recognize it as something you don't want to do again and move on. Again, not as eloquent as Huxley.

J

7/14/2005 07:22:00 AM  
Blogger Marci said...

but it's so hard not to dwell.....

Plus, I do it so well.

7/14/2005 03:49:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Plus saying the word Muck is fun. Say it with me now... mmmmmmmuck. Muckity muck muck muck. Muck muck bo buck banana fana fo.....uhm....yeah...tired of that word already.

7/14/2005 05:34:00 PM  
Blogger Buggie said...

Muck is a fun word. So is Schmuck.

7/14/2005 07:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just finishing out reading everything by Dostoyevsky, and at the start of the current publication I'm reading (his journals for 1873) He tells this story;

"I'll tell you a story I heard the other day. They say it is an ancient fable, perhaps even of Indian origin, and that's a very comforting thought.

Once upon a time the pig got into a quarrel with the lion and challenged him to a duel. When the pig came home he thought the matter over and lost his nerve. The whole herd assembled to consider the matter and announced their decision as follows 'Now then, brother pig, there is a wallow not far from here; go and have a good roll in it and then proceed to the duel. You'll see what happens'
The pig did just that. The lion arrived, took a sniff, wrinkled up his nose, and walked away. And for a long time thereafter the pig boasted that the lion had turned tail and fled on the field of battle.
That's the fable. Of course we don't have any lions here - we don't have the climate here and they're too grand a thing for us in any case. But in place of the lion put an honest person, such as each of us is obliged to be, and the moral comes out the same.
Apropos of that, I'll tell you another little story."

Hmm, I guess this didn't really have too much to do with what you were talking about. But I made the effort to retype it, so I'm posting it.

7/15/2005 01:01:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dude...I like that.

7/15/2005 03:45:00 PM  
Blogger Buggie said...

Me too.

7/15/2005 09:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home